In the video below, Dr. Gabor Maté explains why he links significant risk factors for chronic illness (including mental illnesses such as depression) to the suppression of healthy emotions.
His talk includes topics such as:
- The human attachment drive (being taken care of, or taking care of someone).
- The human need for authenticity: the sense of being yourself and knowing who you are and what you feel.
- What often happens with authenticity threatens attachment.
- The role of emotions.
- Psychoneuroimmunology: the study of the interaction between psychological processes and the nervous and immune systems of the human body.
- Emotions in relation to the immune system and autoimmune diseases